Pets in passenger cabin
1 small domestic dog, cat or bird per passenger is allowed in the passenger cabin for $125 each way.
When you travel with a pet, please check in with an agent at the airport. If you're on a codeshare flight, please check with that airline for carry-on pet policies and fees.
Rules and regulations
- Pets in cabin count toward your carry-on baggage allowance. Pets must remain inside their approved container under the seat directly in front of you.
- Carry-on pets are not allowed to/from Europe, South America, the Middle East, Antigua, Bridgetown Barbados, Montego Bay, Jamaica or St. Lucia.
- Only dogs and cats are allowed to/from Costa Rica. Please contact the embassy or consulate at least four weeks before you travel. Call 800-428-4322 for more information.
US Airways accepts hard-sided carriers up to 17 inches long (43 cm) x 16 inches wide (40 cm) x 8 inches tall (20 cm) and soft-sided carriers up to 17 inches long (43 cm) X 16 inches wide (40 cm) X 10 inches tall (25 cm).
On US Airways Express flights, pet carriers must not be more than 15 inches long (38 cm) x 17 inches wide (43 cm) x 8 inches tall (20 cm); on CRJ aircraft, not more than 16 inches long (40 cm) x 17 inches wide (43 cm) x 8 inches tall (20 cm) and on DH3 and DH8 aircraft, not more than 15 inches long (38 cm) x 16 inches wide (40 cm) x 10 inches tall (25 cm).
- Carriers must be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- Carriers must be ventilated on at least 2 sides, but not allow any part of the animal to protrude outside of the container.
- Carriers must provide room for the animal to stand up and turn around.
- Carriers can be made of metal, wood or hard plastic/composite. Exceptions are made for soft-sided containers made specifically for pet carriage.
Pets in cargo compartment
For the safety of your pet, US Airways does not accept any animals in cargo compartments. As of March 1, 2012, we no longer accept dogs, cats or birds as checked cargo on US Airways Shuttle flights.
Animal relief areas
There are designated animal relief areas in Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix.
- Phoenix: Terminal 4, west side, level 1 (outside baggage claim)
- Charlotte: Across from Queen Charlotte's fountain (outside baggage claim)
- Philadelphia (departing flights road): Between terminals A-West and A-East; between Terminal B/C ticketing and the Airport Communications Center; after Terminal E and F
- Philadelphia (arriving flights road): Adjacent to Terminal A-East baggage claim; along the Commercial Vehicle Roadway adjacent to the Terminal B and E baggage claim
Hawaii pet quarantine information
Hawaii is a rabies-free state. If you're traveling to Hawaii with a service animal, emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal, you must have a health certificate issued within 14 days prior to travel. You must also contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture to get a Neighborhood Island Permit before leaving the mainland if you're traveling to Maui, Kauai or the Big Island.
US Airways will only permit service animals, emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals in the cabin for travel to/from Hawaii.
When the service animal, emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal is a bird or for information on requirements for allowing the previously mentioned animals to enter the state of Hawaii without quarantine, please contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.
Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halawa Valley Street
Aiea, HI 96701-5602