Flying on American Airlines?
Our pet policies are different. Before you book please make sure you understand the rules. We don't accept pets in cargo, and American does.
Traveling with a pet? Book your trip online, and then call 800-428-4322 to book your pet. You can pay for your pet when you check in at the airport.
We recommend you call in advance and arrive early at the airport because only a limited number of pets are allowed on each flight.
Rules & regulations
Please keep in mind:
- We allow you to carry on small domestic dogs or cats in the passenger cabin for an additional $125 each way.
- You can only carry on one pet carrier (a second carrier is not allowed).
- Each carrier may contain up to 2 pets of similar size/weight/type, as long as both pets can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in the carrier.
- Cabin pets must be at least 8 weeks old.
- Pets must remain inside their approved container under the seat directly in front of you.
- Remember, a pet in the cabin counts toward your carry-on baggage allowance, so pack accordingly.
- If you're on a flight with one of our codeshare partners, please check with that airline for its carry-on pet policies and fees.
Carry-on pets are allowed on flights within the U.S. (except Hawaii) and select international destinations as long as you meet the specific requirements and have the correct documents:
- Canada (with proof of rabies vaccination)
- Costa Rica (with vaccination certificate by a licensed veterinarian)
- Antigua (see Antigua import requirements)
- St. Lucia (see St. Lucia requirements for importing cats and dogs)
- St. Martin (see application for importing animals)
Carry-on pets are NOT allowed on flights to/from:
- South America
- The Middle East
Approved pet carriers
The maximum size for a pet carrier is 19" long x 13" wide x 9" high.
Soft−sided pet carriers may exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible.
- If you're on a US Airways Express aircraft, the maximum size for pet carriers may be smaller. An agent can check the exact under-seat dimension in the class you're booked to ensure the carrier will fit underneath the seat in front of you.
- The space under an aisle seat may be smaller and may not accommodate a pet carrier.
- Be leakproof and escape-proof
- Be ventilated on at least 2 sides (no part of the animal may protrude from the carrier)
- Have ample room for the pets to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position
- Be made of metal, wood or polyethylene plastic or composite material of similar strength; soft-sided or cardboard containers made specifically for pet carriage may also be allowed
Number of pets allowed per flight
We allow up to 7 pets on each US Airways flight (with a maximum of 2 pets in First/Business Class) and up to 5 pets on each US Airways Express flight (with a maximum of 1 pet in First Class).
We cannot fit pets under the seats in First/Business Class on these aircraft: A330-200, A330-300, B767-200 and B757 ETOPS.
For your pet’s safety, we do not accept any animals in cargo compartments on US Airways or US Airways Shuttle flights.
Animal relief areas
Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix have designated animal relief areas.
- Phoenix: Terminal 4, west side, level 1 (outside baggage claim)
- Charlotte: Across from Queen Charlotte's fountain (outside baggage claim)
- Philadelphia (departing flights road): Between terminals A-West and A-East; between Terminal B/C ticketing and the Airport Communications Center; after Terminal E and F
- Philadelphia (arriving flights road): Adjacent to Terminal A-East baggage claim; along the Commercial Vehicle Roadway adjacent to the Terminal B and E baggage claim
Hawaii pet quarantine information
Hawaii is a rabies-free state. If you're traveling to Hawaii with a service animal, emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal, you must have a health certificate issued within 14 days of travel. If you're traveling to Maui, Kauai or the Big Island, you must also contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture to get a Neighborhood Island Permit before leaving the mainland.
We permit only service animals, emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals in the cabin for travel to and from Hawaii.
If the service animal, emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal is a bird, or for information on requirements for allowing the mentioned animals to enter the state of Hawaii without quarantine, please contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.
Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halawa Valley Street
Aiea, HI 96701-5602