You must have a valid passport to exit and enter the U.S. You won't be allowed to board any international flight without a passport.

Travelers to Venezuela

New Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens traveling to Venezuela

Venezuela has just imposed a visa requirement effective immediately. American currently serves Caracas (CCS) and Maracaibo (MAR). All U.S. citizens will be denied boarding to Venezuela if they are not in possession of a valid Venezuelan visa. There are no exceptions for a U.S. passport holder born in Venezuela. Information on visa requirements can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. Contact your nearest Venezuelan consulate or the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington, D.C. for more information on obtaining a visa.

For more information on rescheduling your flight or a refund, contact the company or agent from where you purchased your ticket or American Airlines reservations at 800-245-0999.

Travelers to Brazil

A tourist visa is required for most travelers to Brazil, including U.S. and Canadian citizens. You won’t be permitted to board your flight if you don’t have the appropriate visa. You can apply for a visa from your country’s nearest Brazilian consulate.

The Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, Latin America and Europe

A valid passport or passport and visa may be required depending on your nationality, travel destination, length of stay and the country or countries in which you connect.

All Mexican citizens must have a visa to enter Canada. Visas can be requested from the Canadian consulate in Mexico City or online.


To travel internationally, all children, regardless of age, must have a passport and any travel documents required by the countries visited.

To prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry and exit points. You may be required to show documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian not present.

Emergency contact information

The Department of Transportation requires U.S. airlines to obtain emergency contact information from U.S. citizens traveling internationally. Emergency contacts do not have to be relatives, and all information is kept confidential. All our customers flying between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Europe must provide contact information.

Visa Waiver Program

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) now requires all eligible passengers to use the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) when they travel to the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

All citizens of VWP-eligible countries must fill out the ESTA application and pay a $14 fee per application charged by the DHS.

Submit your application any time before travel. We suggest that you apply for authorization when you begin planning your trip to the U.S. In most cases, ESTA will provide an immediate determination of eligibility for the VWP.

An approved ESTA travel authorization is:

  • Valid for up to 2 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first
  • Valid for multiple entries into the U.S.
  • Not a guarantee of admissibility to the U.S.; ESTA approval only authorizes you to board a carrier for travel to the U.S. under the VWP

Participating Visa Waiver Program countries

AndorraHungaryNew Zealand
BelgiumItalySan Marino
Czech RepublicLatviaSlovakia
EstoniaLithuaniaSouth Korea
The United Kingdom  

I-94 form

If you're a visitor to the U.S., you no longer have to fill out a paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record when you arrive. This information is now collected automatically from your electronic travel records.

If you need the information from your Form I-94 to verify status, and you entered the U.S. after April 26, 2011, you can look it up online.

Insecticides on international flights

To protect public health, agriculture and the environment, the World Health Organization (WHO) requires aircraft to be sprayed with insecticide in some countries. The WHO has concluded that there is no health risk, although some passengers may experience some discomfort.